[X4U] G3 Last Ship Date?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Thu Jun 14 17:41:26 PDT 2007

> Why wouldn't you want to run 10.4 on your G4/450... I run 10.4.9 on
> my G4/450MP, and it runs just great.  Much better than it did with 10.3.
>
> Isn't the reason G3's weren't recommended for anything over 10.3 is
> because of USB 2/Firewire support - or was that just the original
> iMac was not supported over 10.3?
>
> J. R. Rosen

To little RAM, and too slow of a CPU.  While the system was fast in '99, it
is quite slow by todays standards (I say this as someone that uses systems
that are far, far slower, and far older).  I moved off of my Rev.0 G4/450AGP
in November 2003, and even then it was really to slow to be running Mac OS X
on for anything that required intensive CPU utilization.  I went just over 4
years before I upgraded from the G4/450 to a Rev.0 G5 2x2, but the G4 was
feeling slow after only a couple years (and this is for just surfing the
web).  In just over 3 1/2 years the G5 2x2 has never felt slow.  I've felt
RAM bound, and have run out of disk space, but no complaints on the speed.

Still this is also a question of how you use a system, what you have to
compare the system to, and what you consider to be acceptable responsiveness
in the system.  Ones choice in an OS will definitely effect the speed of the
system, and how much RAM you need.

	Zane