[X4U] Mac locks up when attempting use file sharing

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Mon Jun 18 20:22:34 PDT 2007

I know that this sounds like a completely bizarre suggestion, but
have you tried disconnecting any connected USB or Firewire cables
from your computer?

I had similar unexplained lockups and slowdowns during file
transfers, and if memory serves, found some bizarre combination of
USB hubs/peripherals was causing the problem.

I can get a complete freeze of the UI on my system; can't force-quit,
invoke terminal, etc.  But I can simply yank the USB cable out of my
iMac (thereby disconnecting a couple of hubs, multiple external
drives, scanner, etc...yes I know not advisable) and suddenly my
system will spring back to life.

Let me know if that helps.

Michael