[X4U] Mac locks up when attempting use file sharing

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Jun 19 03:09:37 PDT 2007

On 18 Jun, 2007, at 8:02 AM, Kansas Territory wrote:

> I've tried this several times, using two different macbooks and two
> different iMacs
> as long as the G4 is in the mix, it causes the finder to lock up,
> on whoever initiates the file transfer

  I know that this may sound too simple, but.....

Are you certain that file sharing is enabled correctly on both
machines to share with each other? I know that each machine has to be
configured to recognize and give sharing privileges to the other, and
if that is not done PROPERLY, many bad experiences result.

Does each machine have a definite and separate identity to not be
confused with any other machine? I had a troublesome experience with
two laptops when each was named 20G LT Drive. It seemed the owner
didn't know that identical machine names would result in each machine
being unwilling to recognize "itself" as a different machine to share
with or some other esoteric reason so far unknown to me. I'm still
learning about that situation.