[X4U] 10.4.8 and the Snow ABS?

Mary C. Youra mcyoura at ix.netcom.com
Sat Mar 10 05:22:12 PST 2007

My parents have a network consisting of a dsl modem, Snow Airport
base station, Netgear Range Extender (which uses the one ethernet
port on the ABS) to boost the signal to a room above the garage, my
mom's  iMac G4 (that connects with an Airport card, and is close
enough that it doesn't use the Range Extender's signal), and my dad's
Dell pc with some kind of wifi card, which needs the Netgear Range
Extender to connect. All has been working fine. I stopped by the
house to answer my mother's query about Software Update's persistent
messages. It turned out she was quite behind, and was still at
10.4.7. I used Software Update to install 10.4.8. Instead of an easy
restart, I had to shut down--I had failed to notice that my dad was
logged in with fast user switching (this probaby has nothing to do
with anything, but in case it does, I'm mentioning it), so I shut
down, and then re-booted and repaired permissions. Everything seemed
to go fine with that. Except, the Airport Base Station is dead to us.
No matter what we've tried, we can't get it to be seen. We have tried
several hard re-sets of the ABS to no avail--we did connect the iMac
by ethernet to the ABS to reconfigure it afterward, and the lights
seem to indicate that the ABS is actually resetting itself. We tried
trashing three preference files (com.apple.internetconfig and the
like, we'd found a list on Macfixit). We deleted all the networks
listed as preferred networks, and re-listing them (something else
suggested on Macfixit). We're using Airport Admin Utility and
Internet Config. Neither find any trace of the ABS and its ID. We
have connected the iMac directly to the dsl modem and finished
updating it, so it now has the remaining Security Updates installed.

Does anyone have any ideas for something else we could try?

Is the answer a new and speedier (g) router?

Thanks,
Mary