[X4U] User directories on external firewire hard drive

Lynch Andrew atlynch at mac.com
Fri Mar 23 09:44:01 PDT 2007

Hi Folks,
   I am considering moving the users directories to an external
firewire hard drive.  Are there any known gotchas to this approach?
I remember one time I had some issues with an archive and reinstall
upgrade when the users directory was on a second internal drive.

I can see several ways to do this:

1) Put the new path in the netinfo database
2) link /Users to /Volume/FW/Users
3) link /Users/drew to /Volume/FW/Users/drew

I assume I need to uncheck "Ignore ownership on this volume".  Also,
I would keep one admin user active on the boot partition.

Cheers,
    Drew