[X4U] RAM usage

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri May 4 11:50:43 PDT 2007

A couple years ago someone on this recommended a tool for determining if you
need to add more RAM to your Mac or not, and I think it might have even
offered some advice on how much to add.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?

On my G5 2x2 that I just upgraded last weekend from 10.3.9 to 10.4.9, I have
3.5GB RAM.  There are typically two other users logged in besides myself,
but at most they typically have Safari open.  I've seen Virtual Memory usage
as high as 14GB with the system having only been up for a few days, and not
many applications running on my side.  While the memory problems on 10.4.9
with 3.5GB aren't as severe as they were with 10.4 and only 1.5GB two years
ago, they're still bad enough I'm thinking about adding another 2GB RAM.

I realize I could help fix the problem by not having so many things running
at once, however, that would mean drastically altering the method in which I
use the system.

Zane