[X4U] problems with bootcamp and windows install

alexandre mac at kapellos.com
Fri May 4 15:06:56 PDT 2007

On 4 mai 07, at 23:25, Stroller wrote:

> On 4 May 2007, at 12:04, alexandre wrote:
>> i've been able to install windows xp on 2 of the imacs. on the
>> 3rd, boot camp (or the windows installer) just ejects the windows
>> install cd, hanging the machine. i've tried with different install
>> cds, same result.
>
> Is it possible there are firmware updates to be applied to the 3rd
> iMac?

everything is up to date.

> I would be inclined to check this and then run Bootcamp's first
> stage again. I believe the first stage changes some information
> either in EFI or the boot sector - you may find that deleting the
> Windows partition & recreating it performs this "magic".

i've partitioned, de-partitioned and then re-partitioned and am still
getting the problems…

>> as for the 2 macpros, both hang when the installer asks me to
>> confirm that i really want to install windows xp. the keyboard
>> doesn't respond, and the "caps lock" light turns on on the keyboard.
>
> Not using bluetooth keyboards, by any chance, are you? In any case,
> generic USB keyboards can be bought for very few pounds - it might
> be worth a go trying to install with one of those, just in case
> they make a difference.

no, no BT keyboards. i've switched keyboards too, all apple though.

> Finally, for both the 3rd imac and for the MacPros you should
> unplug as much additional hardware as possible during the bootcamp
> process. Any additional USB devices should be disconnected and PCI
> cards removed from the Pros.

i'll have to check for usb devices (scanners, etc). no pci cards are
connected.

thanks stroller!

alexandre
:: 17" 2.33ghz ic2d macbook pro / 2.0gb / 160gb / X.4.9 ::
:: 24" 2.33ghz ic2d imac / 2.0gb / 250gb / X.4.9 ::