[X4U] MacOS X Mail and AOL...retaining local "sent mail"?

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Fri May 4 16:44:30 PDT 2007

I have recently started using MacOS X Mail with AOL's IMAP server to
access my AOL mail account of 14  years :-)

It has worked great, but I've recently noticed that my "sent mail"
folder is only keeping e-mails for 1 month, and then they're being
removed.  Now, the regular AOL service removes sent mail after a
month or so in their own client, but I thought Mail could be set to
keep the sent mail indefinitely until I choose to delete it.

Mailbox Behaviors in Mail for the AOL account are set for "Store sent
messages on the server" as checked, with "never" under "Delete
messages when..."

Should I un-check the "store sent messages on the server" setting?

I also access my e-mail from both my home iMac and my MacBook.  What
I see is the same in both situations: same inbox, sent mail, etc.  Is
that a natural function of IMAP, and is there still a way that my
"sent" mail will be synchronized between the two?

Thanks :-)