[X4U] Possibly OT: Static IP, what have you done for me lately?

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Sat May 5 04:47:25 PDT 2007

Depends on what the terms of service with BellSouth are.

Speakeasy for instance (my DSL provider) has no restrictions . . . so
I run my own mail and web servers as well as connect via ssh to
either my IP or the domain that resolves to my IP.

Usually though . . . phone company DSL lines TOS ban servers . . .
and they usually back things up by blocking typical protocols. You
can get around blocks by using some obscure ports of course . . . but
their traffic logs will show the traffic and if they wanted to they
can come back (assuming they bother to examine their logs, which may
not happen unless there's a bandwidth hog or issue with something
else) and cancel your service over it.

So . . . check your TOS and see.

Of course . . .even with a dynamic IP you can still run all of these
servers . . . you simply use a service like dyndns.org to resolve
your domain to your dynamically changing IP from the ISP. Most
current routers have a dyndns client built in which reports your IP
to dyndns.org whenever it changes so that tim.net or whatever domain
you register will always point to your IP even though it's subject to
change. Once that is done . . . servers still work. If your router
doesn't have a built in client . . . there is a Mac client that gets
your external IP from the router and then reports it back to dyndns.org.

Obscure protocols . . . sure, those work just like the mail and web
protocols . . . you can point ssh (port 22) or timbuktu (487 I think)
to your home domain or IP (either static or DHCP) and they will
connect just fine.