[X4U] Two Mac's

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Mon May 7 09:42:48 PDT 2007

>On May 6, 2007, at 6:32 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>
>>I'd not thought about file synchronization however, that would be
>>the sort of thing I'd be interested in.
>
>Check out:
>
>Synchronize! X Plus $30
>http://www.qdea.com/pages/pages-syncx/syncx1.html
>
>SyncTogether $50
>http://www.markspace.com/synctogether.php
>
>Mac Sync (comes with Apple's .Mac service)
>http://www.apple.com/dotmac/

I'll take a look at the FolderSync Daly recommends.  Though I might
also go with 'rsync' from the command line, I can write a quick
script to automate things.  I've got zero budget for this.  So
unfortunately your suggestions have their drawbacks.

>The first is via FireWire target disk mode.  This allows you to
>connect the two computers together with a FireWire cable and
>transfer the files as if you were transfering from one drive to
>another (simple drag and drop).  Zero configuration is required, and
>FireWire is much faster than 10Base-T Ethernet.:
>http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

I prefer the ease of 100Mbit ethernet, we don't use wireless, and
everything is plugged in to a nice 10/100 switch.  With the addition
of this computer I'll likely be looking into adding a GigE switch at
some point in the future.  Or at least I will if I ever figure out
how to afford a GigE card for my OpenVMS system (actually a
Fibre-to-UTP converter, and a fibre card for that system looks
cheapest).

>The other way to transfer files between your laptop and your desktop
>is via a pen (flash) drive.  Flash drives have more or less taken
>the place of the floppy.  You can get a flash drive in a bunch of
>different capacities, but I find that a 1GB flash drive is perfect
>for transferring files.  You can get a 1GB flash drive quite cheaply
>now.

I've got a 2GB flash drive that actually has a backup copy of my
writing project on it.  So this sounds like the perfect solution to
me, especially if I throw together a script or two to sync it.

My next problem is a subject for a new email later when I have time...

		Zane