[X4U] Beach Ball

Ralph ralph at avatarbiz.com
Tue May 8 10:19:21 PDT 2007

Guess I didn't give quite enough information.

The iMac in question is the primary printing station in a networked
graphics environment. It talks to three network printers and the
Internet via Airport, and to a pair of local printers and a scanner
via USB.

The Airport base station is an older model 802.11B unit. It serves as
the gateway to an Ethernet network with a pair of routers serving two
HP PostScript laser printers (one color, one B/W), a G4 PowerMac, a
Windows 2000 workstation, a Canon ImageRunner and a T-1 Internet
connection.

Also communicating with the base station wirelessly are another G4
PowerMac desktop and a PowerBook G4. The PowerMac desktop has several
hard drives, one of which is the master repository for client files
from all the other computers. Files are archived by transferring over
the network.

The iMac is loaded to the gills with USB connections: through direct
connections and a USB hub, it talks to an HP scanner, an HP large-
format inkjet printer, an Epson medium-format inkjet printer, a USB
wireless adapter, a multi-format camera card reader, keyboard, mouse
and a USB flash memory stick for sneakernet file transfer.

The iMac is restarted every day. I installed Tiger Cache Cleaner on
it recently; this sped it up a little. It also runs Norton AntiVirus.

Hmm... that's a lot of info I left out!

 From Michael's response, I infer that any of the USB devices could
be a problem; guess I'll start there. I've never looked at a log in
Console.app -- but I'll research how to do that.

TIA for any further thoughts.

Ralph Jones