[X4U] NAS and AFP

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu May 10 03:34:18 PDT 2007

On 10 May 2007, at 03:08, Neil wrote:

> Rick's mention of AFP made me think.  Would I be better off with a
> NAS that supports AFP?  I know that the Infrant ReadyNAS supports
> AFP.  Does that work better with Macs than SMB (which is from the
> Windows world).  I thought both would be fine, so I didn't bother
> to spend the extra bucks for the Infrant.

I have experienced a 2x speed increase when transferring from a Linux
box (which is what most of these NAS are) to my G5 by switching from
SMB to AFS.

However for general purposes (transfers of < 5gig at a time,
typically < 500meg) SMB should be quite adequate - the slowness you
describe sounds more serious to me. Is it possible the h/d inside the
NAS is dying? Unless warranty is applicable to this unit I would be
inclined to open it up, replace the h/d & see if that makes any
difference.

Stroller.