[X4U] OT: NAS Slows to a Crawl

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu May 10 03:42:19 PDT 2007

On 10 May 2007, at 05:27, Neil wrote:
> I can't run Disk Utilities on the NAS because it isn't formatted
> for Mac.

I believe it is formatted ext2.

> I restarted my Mac, but I haven't thought of restarting the NAS
> until now.  I'll wait for my finder to stop spinning the beach ball
> so I can unmount the NAS and reboot it.

It may have a webpage which you can log into to admin the unit (add
users, shares &c). If so, use its reboot button. The Linux o/s in the
NAS should run an fsck if the drive is not cleanly unmounted (i.e.:
if the device is power-cycled) and ext2 is a very robust file-system,
but that is no substitute for shutting down cleanly whenever
possible. ext2 by default runs an fsck every 20 boots - if the
Buffalo designers chose to make it do so more often (say, every time)
it would slow boot times & surely result in lots of tech-support
queries, but again there may be an option in the NAS's admin options
to run a disk check.

Stroller.