[X4U] Re: OS crawling through chores

James Hurley jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 12 08:21:49 PDT 2007

> On 05/10/07, James Hurley <jhurley0305 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have two Macs (Powerbook, and MacBook, both 10.4.9)
>>
>> The MacBook is fine but the Powerbook is glacial. Constantly get the
>> spinning beach ball--while typing, selecting menus, etc.
>>
>> The activity monitor shows heavy SystemUIServer usage, over 70%
>> during beach ball spins  . I get no such activity on the MacBook
>> doing the same operations.

Thanks to all who replied to my query.

I wanted to give you an update on the resolution of this problem.
The problem: almost every action presented the spinning beach ball:
accessing menues, typing in a field, etc. Even trying to change the
name of a folder presented problems--after a few letters the cursor
jumped to a new file. Really bizarre stuff.

After some frustration I called Apple Care and they were very helpful.
After a number of diagnostic efforts it was decided that my
preferences files were corrupted. Deleting these two library folders
solved the problem.
But deleting these folder is not the first thing you want to try.
Recovering from the loss of preferences is a headache--even Mail
required me to set up my accounts again.

Jim