[X4U] Macbook Pro

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun May 13 04:50:18 PDT 2007

On 13 May 2007, at 01:28, Robert MacLeay wrote:
> -- the extra 1 GB of RAM and the
> more-capable video card -- are worth paying for.  In the Intel
> world, 1 GB
> is simply not enough for more than surfing the web and writing
> letters.

Not to criticise your post, but it _should_ be enough.

Try a fresh install of Windows XP on a (say) 1.6ghz Pentium 4 with
512meg of RAM and it will feel snappy as heck. It will open lots of
windows and you'll be able to switch between them near-instantly.

I'm sure that Intel Macs are more RAM-hungry than PPCs, and can only
conjecture that OS X isn't well optimised for them yet.

> My greatest criticism of Apple is that, with the exception of the
> Mac Pro,
> nothing now shipping has the RAM capacity to handle the needs of
> whatever
> operating system I expect we will be running 3+ years in the
> future.  When
> one considers not only how the minimum RAM requirements for the Mac
> OS have
> increased over the last 20 years, but how the expandability (ratio of
> minimum requirement to maximum installable) has shrunk...

In the past speed improvements on older hardware have been seen on
each OS X release. Try upgrading from 10.2 to 10.3 to 10.4 on a
800mhz iBook. Hopefully we'll see the same thing with 10.5 & 10.6
running on our current Intels.

Stroller.