[X4U] Macbook Pro

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun May 13 05:19:34 PDT 2007

On 13 May 2007, at 03:58, Philip J Robar wrote:
> For reference, the knee of the curve for Windows XP when performing
> well defined general purpose multitasking application benchmarks is
> right around 512 MB.

<AOL>

My customers are frequently amazed at the difference when I add RAM
to their < 512meg PCs. I see a lot of 2 - 4 year-old Dells which were
shipped with 256meg or even 128meg from the factory. The GUI
latencies of these tends to make them EXTREMELY frustrating to work
on -  512meg DIMMs are the best bang-per-buck at the moment and the
difference one of these makes is quite astounding. Not only do I
notice it but do my customers.

I guess that things like FSB speed and processor architecture have
improved more in this time period, but processors' cited ghz seems to
have increased little between these machines of 2 years ago & the
ones I see sold today. Certainly I am sure that none of my customers
could notice the difference between a 2-year old PC with 768meg RAM
and a brand new one with the same amount of memory (providing fresh
installs of XP on each).

> I wish I had similar information for Vista, but despite lots of
> hand waving about Vista's memory needs I've yet to see any reliable
> numbers published. (I'd welcome a pointer if anyone has one.)

I'm finding Vista slow with 1gig, but that may be the operations I'm
doing on it - mostly copying data from the customer's old PC,
installing applications and general configuration. There's a known
issue with file-copy operations which cause them to be glacial to
quite a silly degree - one could see this could easily be affecting
installation of the many files programs copy to the h/d during setup,
but also perhaps switching between tasks to furtle in control panel
whilst this is going on.

> I'd also like to be able to quote similar figures for OS X, but I
> don't read Mac related publications regularly anymore, and from
> what I remember of them most of what passed for benchmarking left a
> lot to be desired. (MacBench leaps to mind.)

http://www.kernelthread.com/ or http://osxbook.com/ might be worth a
look, if you've got the time & the inclination.

Stroller.