[X4U] Pismo & Wireless

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu May 17 01:26:14 PDT 2007

On 15 May, 2007, at 9:16 PM, Da Pen wrote:

> What would be a good solution for wireless network
> card in G3 400/500 Pismo (firewire) laptop?  I know
> you can use Airport .11b but can you use a .11g/n card
> in the pcmcia slot and get the performance from it?
> If so, what's a good card to buy?
>
> Also, what is the most recent version of OS X that you
> can load on one of these, as a stock G3?  Does that
> change if I put in a G4 processor upgrade?

My Pismo is equipped with the Apple AirPort card, so I can't promise
what will happen if you use a different brand card with yours.

However, with that said, I have installed two different brand cards
in a Lombard and a Wallstreet. The Lombard got the Belkin card and
the Wallstreet got the Orinoco card. Both cards required a third-
party driver because they wouldn't work with Apple software. It cost
me $25 each for the license codes.

After using both brands, my recommendation is to go with the Apple
AirPort card if you can get one cheaply enough. They work naturally
and don't give you any headaches with extra software.

I can't say whether or not a G4 upgrade will give you the ability to
upgrade past v10.3.9 which is the OS I have in my Pismo. You would
have a DVD player module to use, and not every Pismo has one of those.