[X4U] disk size for Time Machine

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Mon May 21 10:37:53 PDT 2007

> I guess the space needed will vary a lot depending on the
> configuration. But do you know whether there are any already any
> recommendations out there, 2x the hard-disk? 3x?

I would be surprised if it's anything other than "as much as you can
afford". Even with differential backups and compression or whatever
other tricks, having a lot of storage space available will facilitate
the job of fine granularity in your versioning with long retention.

With Time Machine working on the same drive I expect that disk
fragmentation might become a whole new issue. The way I understand
Time Machine, it will always try to use as much of the disk as
possible to invisibly store old. Here, too, a large drive will be
beneficial.

Björn