[X4U] Annoying popup links in Mail & Safari

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Thu May 24 17:12:09 PDT 2007

On 5/24/07 2:06 PM, John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:

> IIRC, tooltips are on by default in Tiger's Safari. I don't use Mail, so can
> say anything about that app. To see if it's ever been changed, type in this
> terminal command:
>
> defaults read com.apple.safari WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips
>
> 0 indicates off and 1 indicates on. See this hint for details about Safari's
> tooltips <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070519173316942>.

Thanks for the link to that hint. It actually confirmed that the ToolTips
are turned OFF by default (for instance, I don't even have the
WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips section in my Safari preferences file) and they
can only be turned on by using the Terminal or a 3rd-party tool like Mac
Pilot (which is also how to turn them off).

--
Eddie Hargreaves