[X4U] Annoying popup links in Mail & Safari

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat May 26 12:18:25 PDT 2007

On 05/24/07,  Eddie Hargreaves <meged at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 5/24/07 2:06 PM, John Baltutis <baltwo at san.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> IIRC, tooltips are on by default in Tiger's Safari. I don't use Mail, so
>>can't
>> say anything about that app. To see if it's ever been changed, type in this
>> terminal command:
>>
>> defaults read com.apple.safari WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips
>>
>> 0 indicates off and 1 indicates on. See this hint for details about Safari's
>> tooltips <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070519173316942>.
>
> Thanks for the link to that hint. It actually confirmed that the ToolTips
> are turned OFF by default (for instance, I don't even have the
> WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips section in my Safari preferences file) and they
> can only be turned on by using the Terminal or a 3rd-party tool like Mac
> Pilot (which is also how to turn them off).

Sorry for not being clear enough. AFAICT, the default tooltips setting in
Safari is ON even if you don't get anything back for WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips
in the plist. On my machine w/10.4.9, the tooltips are active in Safari even
though there's no entry for WebKitShowsURLsInToolTips in the plist. Simple test
is to quit Safari, move the current plist to the Desktop, relaunch Safari, and
see if the tooltips work.