[X4U] list ettiguette faux pas

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Mon Nov 5 06:18:14 PST 2007

On 11/3/07 10:16 AM, "Jim Robertson" <jamesrob at sonic.net> wrote:

> A non-text attachment was scrubbed...

OOPS!

OK, I didn't write that, the listmom's scripts did. But the episode shows
how far we are from computing as something that requires no more user
tweaking than the toaster (alleged to be Steve Jobs's quest)

I'm a physician, and I need to deal with HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability
and Privacy Act), which "offers" steep fines and jail time for people who
reveal what's called "protected health information." As yet, there are no
formal "HIPAA Police", but Health Care as an industry is struggling with the
desires of patients to communicate electronically with their medical care
providers and the converse.

I've been experimenting with PGP. It works (unfortunately) about as well as
the Mac/PC commercial where the sunglass-enhanced CIA-types looking over
PC's shoulder chant repeatedly "cancel or allow" .

The non-text attachment was merely my PGP digital signature, which can't be
parsed by many recipient email servers (and, as far as I know, by NO webmail
interfaces).

Jim Robertson