[X4U] Re: aDSL: dynamic vs. static IP

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 5 11:31:29 PST 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 8:21 AM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> On 11/3/07 1:04 PM, "Neil Laubenthal" <neil at laubenthal.net> wrote:
>
>> Register a domain name (dotster or whoever) and use www.dyndns.org
>> to  point
>> to your domain. Configure your router (most recent ones can be)  or
>> load a
>> DynDNS client on your Mac to update the dyndns.org DNS  server for
>> your
>> domain whenever your dynamic IP changes. Mac-L list <mac-l at lists.listmoms.net
>> >

> One of my main concerns about changing ISP is losing the email
> address I've
> had forever (or at least since Mr. Gore invented the internet). A
> new domain
> wouldn't permit me to keep my old email address, so far as I can
> understand
> this. Mac-L list <mac-l at lists.listmoms.net>
>
> Thanks to you and others for your helpful responses!
>
> Jim Robertson
> --
A .Mac account would sure take care of this.  The IMAP mail has been a
lifesaver for me at times and it's not one that goes away if I switch
ISP's.  LIke now, I have AT&T (bellsouth) and Comcast.  But .Mac is
always there and the family pack is really great.  Visit the website
and look into it.  I'm not going to try to sell it to you here.

Tim