[X4U] Time Machine

Hector Luna polonius19 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 07:47:16 PST 2007

I didn't have the issues you described, but my experience with Time
Machine has not been as advertised either.

I also reformatted the HD on my MBP w/ HFS+ and journaling before I
installed Leopard. After I had it up and functional I attached the
80GB USB HD I would be using. Before starting Time Machine, I
reformatted it w/ HFS+ and journaling. That was on Saturday. I left
the MPB in place through Sunday before bringing it w/ me to work. The
external I was using for TIme Machine was connected from Saturday till
I brought it in to work. I got one error on Sunday, but it wasn't very
descriptive and I assumed it was for an incremental file backup, so I
wasn't overly concerned.

On Monday, I had a file go bad on my. I wasn't able to open it
anymore. When I got home that night I plugged the 80GB external again
and tried to recover the file but not only could I not recover that
file, but I couldn't recover anything. The size of the backup.backup
folder in the external was 43GB+, but Time Machine wouldn't show
anything other than "Now." Not only that, but when Time Machine next
started its backup, it seemed to be starting over from scratch.

I've since discovered that my internal HD on the MBP was bad and is
being replaced by Apple, and I don't know what effect the bad HD might
have had on the backup, but Time Machine hasn't lived up to its hype
yet, at least not for me...

On Nov 7, 2007 6:57 AM, Craig Hoffman <choffman at eclimb.net> wrote:
> Mac Pro
>
> Before starting TM, I reformatted the drive (HFS Plus, journaling)
> with 1 partition.  I choose GUID under options on the partition tab.
> __________________________
> Craig Hoffman
> iChat/AIM: m0untaind0g
> __________________________
>

> On Nov 7, 2007, at 6:24 AM, Robert Ameeti wrote:
>
> > At 9:23 PM -0700, 11/6/07, Craig Hoffman wrote:
> >
> >> I just read this article this evening on Apple's site about
> >> repartitioning the drive using "GUID"
> >
> > Do you have an Intel Mac or a PPC Mac?
> >
> > How is your drive currently formatted? Note that GUID is not a
> > partition scheme.
> > --

> > Robert Ameeti
> >
> > I am a deeply superficial person.
> >           -- Andy Warhol

Someday, when the historians study how someone as accomplished as Al
Gore was effectively marginalized by a party without a conscience and
kept press, they're going to be amazed that any of us had opposable
thumbs.
- Charles Pierce