[X4U] Paragraph (space-after) formatting in Mail emails

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Tue Nov 13 13:17:48 PST 2007

Thanks for bringing this up, Brett. I am still in Tiger and this has
annoyed me a lot.

For me the issue is triggered when I receive some kinds of formatted
e-mail. In one case I could track it down to an Outlook user. I would
not be surprised if this is another of Microsoft's not-quite-standard
issues that lacks graceful handling by Apple's Mail.

But whatever Microsoft or anybody else screws up: The problem
persists when I switch to plain text, and this should definitely not
be the case under any circumstances. No excuses.

It might just be the display, though, i. e. the screen shows the
space-after for each paragraph, but when sending the recipient will
not see this effect. (Which of course is confusing as you write e-
mails.)

> What about Services --> Format --> (pick one of many choices)?

Art, I did not find any helpful choice here.

My workaround is to copy-paste into Bean, remove the space-after,
copy-paste back into Mail.

I was hoping that Leopard would handle such incoming Mails better
(which might still be the case) and bring all of TextEdit's
formatting features to Mail. This seems not the case despite Apple
offering absurdly rich formatted e-mail templates.

Björn