[X4U] Does size matter?

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Tue Nov 20 17:51:01 PST 2007

On 19 Nov 2007, at 19:52, Kevin Willis wrote:

> I have been recording my favorite TV shows on my Mac and turning
> them into DVD's for a couple of years now. I would always add
> episodes to iMovie until I got about 2 hours worth of shows. Then,
> I would use iDVD to burn them. The iMovie files were over 20 GB,
> but the running time was less than 2 hours. I have never had a
> problem getting them to burn on regular 4.7 GB DVD's. Now when I
> try, I get a message from iDVD saying the file is too big, and I
> need double layer disks.

Hi there,

As I understand it iDVD burns standard-type DVDs, playable in a DVD
player.

Yet you should be able to navigate the finished DVD in Finder, select
all (Apple-A) and Get Info (Apple-i or Apple-Alt-i? I'm not sure) and
see the total size of all files.

What's the total size of all the files on one of the previous disks,
please? If it's around the 4.69gig mark then one could see how easily
it could fail to fit, should one of your shows overrun or otherwise
become longer by a normal variation.

I think that using iMovie / iDVD it's possible to - rather than
burning the DVD directly - produce an .iso or .dmg image file of the
disk. Can you do this and tell us exactly what size it is, please? It
would probably be useful - if you have the original recordings of a
disk you've already made - if you can reproduce this disk and tell us
what size that disk image is, too.

Stroller.