[X4U] Leopard OK for a DP500?

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sat Nov 24 11:24:29 PST 2007

On 11/24/07 9:59 AM, Crandon David wrote:

> So where do you think that leaves me with my Dual Processor 500? Is
> my computer essentially equivalent to a single processor 1 Gig?
> Anybody in a similar situation?

A dual 500 is not the equivalent of 1GHz. Processor speeds aren't additive
that way, though they are cumulative to some degree.

I used Google to search for an answer to your problem, and found varying
reports:

> Have a dual 500 Mhz G4 that was refused by the installer this AM,

> I guess older Macs will just have to chekout XpostFacto for help in getting
> Leopard on their machines...

<http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/Framework.cfm?page=XPostFacto.ht
ml>

to this workaround at xlr8yourmac.com (one of the best sites ever):

> 10.5 running on 400MHz G4 Sawtooth:
>

> " Leopard runs just about as fast as Tiger on my Sawtooth.
> I tricked Leopard into working on my G4 400Mhz Sawtooth by installing to a
> firewire drive on a PowerBook and switching back to the Sawtooth when the
> installer asked to reboot. (After Leopard rebooted the Powerbook, but before
> OS X booted, I unplugged the external case and plugged it into the sawtooth.
> Then set it to boot from there.)
> Went through the setup, everything. Runs just about as fast as Tiger.
> However I have the GeForce 4 Ti and 1.5GB of ram, but the new screensaver runs
> at about 1fps.
> To make things a bit speedier, I used the Restore feature from Disk Utility to
> move it to an IDE drive. Still works great. :-)

HTH,
Linda