[X4U] Is there a Mac Pro list? (question about Windows under Boot Camp)

Rod Buchanan lists at sofstats.com
Sat Nov 24 12:12:40 PST 2007

On Nov 24, 2007, at 11:33 AM, Jim Robertson wrote:

> I'm considering buying a computer to replace my PowerMac G5. I do a
> fair
> amount in Photoshop (and will do it in the Mac OS with CS3), so I
> don't want
> to step down in performance in the Mac OS (and I can take two of the
> SATA
> drives I have in the dual G5 into the Mac Pro),

Believe me, it won't be a step down. :)  I have an original 2 x 2GHz
G5 (3.5G memory) at home and use a year old 2 x 2.66GHz Mac Pro  (3G
memory) at work.  The Mac Pro is a screamer.

> but I'm not keen on having
> crippled Windows OS performance (my work requires me to run web based
> software that requires Internet Explorer for Windows - won't even
> run in
> FireFox for Windows).

I run Parallels on the Mac Pro with XP and Vista virtual machines.
Windows performance is more than adequate.  (I tell people in jest
that my Mac is the fastest Windows PC in the company.)  If all you
need to run in Windows is IE forget Boot Camp and use Parallels (or
VMWare -- I run it on me MacBook).  You'll definitely want to bump the
memory if you go the VM route, since you'll be running two OS' at once.

Hope this helps,

--
Rod

"The Klingon gods were slain by ancient Klingon warriors millennia
ago. They proved more trouble than they were worth."
-- Lt. Commander Worf