[X4U] Leopard OK for a DP500?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Nov 24 12:18:08 PST 2007

On 11/24/07, Crandon David <tabdave at ca.rr.com> wrote:

> The specs for Leopard list the minimum system requirements as a G4
> 867 or faster.
>
> So where do you think that leaves me with my Dual Processor 500? Is
> my computer essentially equivalent to a single processor 1 Gig?
> Anybody in a similar situation?

I've been running it on my unsupported G4, 450 MP for over a year (beta-tested
it) w/o major hiccups, except towards the end, when Apple popped in the
processor speed check. After it was released, I used the technigue at
<http://blog.kupferman.net/?p=3> to modify a cloned install disk on an internal
HD and  used that to install it. Based on my experience, make a bootable
backup/clone of your current installation. Use the upgrade previous version
option, but be aware that some people have had problems using that option
because of a bug that screws up ownership and permissions. If that happens to
you, erase the volume and use the Erase & Install optioin, followed by
migration from the backup/clone. I don't recommend the Archive & Install option
because moving things the installer doesn't copy and puts into the Previous
System folder is tedious, to say the least.