[X4U] Noisy iMac fan

Jeff Carruthers jeff at carruthers.com
Tue Nov 27 17:27:30 PST 2007

On Nov 27, 2007, at 3:36 PM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> An elderly woman I help out from time to time just asked me where
> she could send her G5 iMac for repair. When I asked what the
> problem was she told me the fan on her iMac would rev up so fast
> that she thought the computer would take off. After a minute or so
> the computer would freeze and and she'd be forced to restart it. I
> told her to hold off sending it anywhere until after I checked with
> this list. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember
> discussions regarding noisy fans and the fact that the problem was
> software, and not hardware related. Am I correct in my
> recollection? Was there ever a solution discovered? I can't
> remember if she's running Panther or Tiger. I'm going there on
> Thursday and would like to see if I can fix the problem for her.
>
> Mark Des Cotes

Mark: I had the same problem with our G5 iMac.

I checked around and the way I resolved it was to pull the plug on
the iMac and leave it unplugged for 10 or 15 minutes. This seems to
have reset something and everything was fine.

Worth a try.

Jeff
J-K Carruthers Limited          Tel: 613-278-0390
678 2nd Concessions N Sherbrooke, RR1   Fax: 613-278-2929
McDonalds Corners, ON K0G 1M0      cell: 613-720-2350
www.carruthers.com                          e-mail: jeff at carruthers.com
Publishing Orders in Council for more than 25 years