[X4U] Boot Camp Beta

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Wed Nov 28 12:01:52 PST 2007

On 11/28/07 1:47 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> I just received an email on the Boot Camp beta (i.e. running under
> 10.4) expiring on December 31st.  Does this mean it will quite
> working at that point?

Hello, Mr. Healy --

I hadn't heard anything of the sort, so I used Google to search, and here's
what I found:

<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/boot_camp_beta_to_expire_dec_
31/>

<http://www.macsimumnews.com/index.php/archive/boot_camp_beta_to_expire_dec_
31/>

<http://lowendmac.com/mac2win/m2w07/1015.html>

The full text of the letter (is this the same letter YOU got?) says:

> Dear Boot Camp enthusiast:
>
> We hope you've enjoyed the opportunity to preview an exciting new feature of
> Mac OS X Leopard.
>
> With the introduction of Leopard, the Boot Camp Beta program has ended. The
> Boot Camp Beta software will expire on December 31, and Apple won't offer
> further updates of Boot Camp Beta for Mac OS X Tiger.
>
> If you'd like to continue using Boot Camp, Apple invites you to upgrade to Mac
> OS X Leopard. Learn more.
>
> Thank you for your participation in the Boot Camp Beta program.

Why will your clients be upset? This expiration was disclosed in the
Software License Agreement that someone -- either they, or you -- had to
agree to when installing. If they clicked "I Agree", they should have read
it; if you clicked, did you let them know it said this?

> The term of this License . . . will terminate automatically without notice
> from Apple upon the next commercial release of the Apple Software, or December
> 31, 2007, whichever occurs first.

I guess that means that technically, Boot Camp expired October 26.

Will it quit working on December 31? Most beta software from other companies
that I've personally ever used does indeed time out on the date. Will Apple
do that? I don't know, but you'll probably want to make sure there is a
backup in place before that date.

~Linda