[X4U] HDTV with a Mac

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 29 02:17:35 PST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 10:08 PM, Neil wrote:

> Yes, you can get an ATSC tuner from Elgato and the included software
> will turn your Mac into a DVR for the free over the air channels.
> There isn't any practical way to capture HD quality video from
> DirecTV.  The situation isn't much better for Dish or the cable cos.
>
> On Nov 28, 2007, at 7:43 PM, Kevin Willis wrote:
>
>> I just purchased a 56" HD LCD TV. I currently have standard Direct
>> TV. In order to get HD channels, they want $100 to lease a HD
>> receiver, and $10 per month. Is there any thing out there for my
>> Mac that will allow me to receive HD channels and send it to my TV?

Well, I don't know about you all, but I have a Sharp 46 inch Aquos and
HDTV service through Comcast.  I get about 25 HD channels that all
broadcast with stunning clarity.  Before that, I had Directv and when
we got our first HDTV, I asked them about HD services and got about
the same song and dance:  $400 for a different receivers, etc, etc.
Comcast was the answer.  Now that I no longer have Directv, I get all
kinds of promotional stuff from them in the mail offering HDTV with no
extra charge for any of the 'formerly optional $$$$$' stuff.  I just
smile and throw it away.
It is true that after 2009, anybody who still has an analog TV will
need to purchase a converter as all TV signals will be broadcast in HD.
One thing to remember though is that you can purchase an antenna that
will pick up local stations that are now broadcasting in HD and get
them directly on your Mac or HDTV.  Locally, in Miami, CBS, NBC, Fox,
ABC and PBS broadcast HDTV signals that I can pick up with the 'rabbit
ears' type HDTV antenna and get the signal on the Mac, I forget what
software I use.

Tim