[X4U] Airport Extreme Behavior

Tim Collier tim_collier at bellsouth.net
Tue Oct 2 13:46:40 PDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 7:51 AM, David R.Boag wrote:

> I just bought a new Airport Extreme yesterday. Spent a good part of
> the day trying to set the thing set up properly. I have my Mac Mini
> connected via Enet, and did most of the initial setup on that.
> Getting the connection to the internet didn't take too long. What
> took forever was setting up the wireless. I was going to try to use
> WPA/WPA2 Personal security for my wireless communications with my
> PC laptop, which has a D-Link DWL-G650 access card--802.11b & g
> compatible. The laptop is running W2k. (I am waiting for ...2 mode?
> Any suggestions?
>
> I'm hoping when I get my MBP that I'll be able to set up the AE for
> WPA and get pretty much seamless performance, but until then, I
> suppose it's WEP or nothing.
> --
> David R. Boag, DDS
> spikedds at bellsouth.net
> http://www.southatlantadental.com/

I can give you my personal experience with the new Airport Extreme.
I have mine connected to a cable modem but have also used BellSouth's
DSL modem (I have both as the cable is faster but not as dependable
as BellSouth).  All of our Macs except for one use the N frequency so
I actually have 2 AE's both set to the N frequency only and the third
is an older white oval (b/g only) one connected via ethernet cable to
the newer AE at the back of the house.  I'm using WPA2 Personal.  We
also have a PC (b/g only) that occasionally joins the network and an
Apple TV.  Setting the whole network up took about a half hour, if
that.  All of the Macs have 4 bars on the Menu Bar.  We use the
laptops at the back of the house and get a very strong signal.  I
guess it helped that I've been using a totally wireless network for
about the last 4 years and that I'm using mainly Macs so I have some
idea of how to actually set these things up.
When I first set up the network, 4 years ago, I made quite a few
mistakes but with a little trial and error, finally got it working
perfectly.  If you'd like further help or advice, contact me off-list.

Tim Collier Mac Pro 2.66 gig http://www.timcolliermiami.com/
tim_collier at bellsouth.net