[X4U] Unlocking DVD for other regions

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Oct 8 11:05:38 PDT 2007

On Oct 8, 2007, at 12:23 PM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> I watch NTSC DVD's via VLC.  I'm in PAL country.

I'm in NTSC country and I watch both NTSC and PAL DVD's via a $25 DVD
player from Wal-Mart. I bought it specifically for that reason,
because my expensive, name brand DVD player would only play NTSC. I
should note a slight drop in quality when watching a PAL DVD on an
NTSC TV. So for optimal quality go Paul's route and use a computer.

The region code is a whole different problem. As Dan noted, I think
MactheRipper will take care of that for you. You can then
(optionally) burn it to a new DVD if you want to watch it using a
stand-alone DVD player.

-Mike