[X4U] Unlocking DVD for other regions

Eugene list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Wed Oct 17 07:46:40 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 01:27:26PM CDT, Stroller <macmonster at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2007, at 15:41, Eugene wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 02:20:11AM CDT, Roy van der Westhuizen <roy at ion.co.za> wrote:
>>>
>>> Eugene, the film I am after is only available on/in the NTSC format.
>>> So simply put, I want to buy it and play it in South Africa. To the
>>> best of my knowledge, we are region 2, not one. Our TV's are PAL.
>>> How that affects playing NTSC format I don't know. Possibly I can
>>> select 'Region  1' on the machine.
>> Your most practical solution, as mentioned by other posters,
>> is to buy one of those Asian DVD players that let you to switch
>> region codes and also handle different video formats.  A quick
>> Google search brought up plenty of hits.  Here's one (just an
>> example, I am not associated with these people at all):
>>
>> 	http://www.dvdoverseas.com/dvd.htm
>
> Hi Eugene,
>
> Whilst I find myself very much in agreement with your post, I'm compelled
> to remark that I find this supplier's headline prices seem a little steep,
> especially considering shipping. I'm sure you only provided them as an
> example, but I'd just like to point this out so that Mr van der Westhuizen
> doesn't consider them a baseline price.
>
> Here in the UK it's quite easy to pick up a region-free DVD player for as
> little as £20 ($40). My mother bought one for c £22 from an online supplier
> <http://svp.co.uk> but many of those in Tescos and other supermarkets can
> be de-regionalised, too. I am sure this is the case for all the cheapest
> players.

I agree wholeheartedly, especially with the fact that the supplier I
listed is pricey.  I don't know what the markets are like in different
countries for multi-region DVD players.  But with a bit more research,
I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives in every country.

--
Eugene
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/