[X4U] Countdown to Leopard

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Oct 20 00:26:07 PDT 2007

On 10/19/07, Neil <lists at mac.com> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 2007, at 7:54 PM, John Baltutis wrote:
>
>> I highly recommend the upgrade previous version option.
>
> Is that the default selection on the install disc?
>
> The boot drive on my old Quicksilver G4 died, so I ended up [replacing] it and
> reinstalling my applications.  It feels faster now, so I was thinking
> of taking the opportunity to do the same to my G5 when I install Leopard.

If you boot a machine containing an earlier OS installation (assuming one disk,
unpartitioned) with the Leopard install disk, then that will be the default
option, although you won't see it unless you click on the Customize button. If
you have the same OS version, say Tiger on that disk, and boot with a Tiger
install disk, the default option will be Archive & Install, also only seen if
you select the customize button. Once again, it's your choice, but the Erase &
Install, reinstalling applications, and resetting all the preferences is very
time-consuming. Running a machine without a bootable backup/clone and haviing
the only disk in it fail forces that situation. Your G4 can hold multiple HDs.
Put anothe in it, clone the original, and then try out the various installation
options. The backup/clone can always be used to restore the original.
Additionally, with external FWHDs relatively inexpensive, get one of those
also. Multiple backups/clones on multiple HDs is the safe way to operate.