Re(4): [X4U] Airport Extreme Software Request

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Oct 21 05:57:05 PDT 2007

On 21 Oct 2007, at 02:13, Thomas Bulat wrote:
>> Since I replaced my old Graphite base station with this Extreme
>> model I think I will put it into remote service mode, too. Will
>> set it up to extend my own wireless coverage. My outside deck, at
>> times, seems to have a bit spotty reception. I'll use the Graphite
>> to relay the signal. Wouldn't get much for it to sell so might as
>> well put the old dear to effective use. Lead on Kemo Sabe.
> Are you hooking to an ethernet network as I was?
>
> If so you have to give each base station (main and remote) the same
> ethernet address.
>
> Took me about 18 hours to figure that out on my own. ;-)

Are you sure? I have no experience with Airport-brand wireless gear,
but I'm somewhat surprised to hear that two devices might share a MAC
address.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_address

Range extending using Airport base-stations is achieved by the
standard Wireless Distribution System. When configuring a WDS network
all base-stations must share the same WEP key. I think that
optionally they may share the same wireless network name (SSID - eg:
"Linksys" or "My Wireless Network"). Perhaps you could be confusing
these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

Stroller.