[X4U] iPhoto: how big is too big ?

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Tue Oct 30 09:48:05 PDT 2007

At 12:10 PM -0400 10/30/07, Jesse Leo wrote:
>So my iPhoto lib is up to 6229 items. It seems to perform well enough for
>now, but at what point is a library considered too big? And what does one do
>at that point to stash, say, 2004 and earlier - but still be able to refer
>back to that stuff if necessary? Any tips or advice would be great.

I'm at 14,176 items, however, iPhoto is also one of the primary
reasons I've upgraded my RAM as much as I have.  I'm on a G5 2x2 with
5.5Gb RAM.

What version of iPhoto are you running?  With large libraries having
at least iPhoto 2006 is a must.  Once I upgraded to 2006 RAM was no
longer so important.  I upgraded to iPhoto 2008 last night, I'm not
sure what I think about it yet, however the "Events" feature that
they have added look to be a definite gain.  I'm having trouble
getting used to a couple other features though.  I also really like
the "fix dates" feature, great for some ancient Sony photo's I have.

		Zane