[X4U] Re: Synching iPod with iTunes

Howard Morgan hdmorganjr at att.net
Wed Oct 31 01:37:49 PDT 2007

Thanks to everyone who was scratching their head as I was.

Problem solved! o save everyone time, should they encounter a similar
problem, here is the solution: visit your computer at night, or turn
off the room lights.

I noticed that all of the lights on my external stack of drives (I
have three) were not on. The iPod is daisy-chained off of the last
drive in the daisy-chain. I turned it on, and Viola!, the drive lit
up and iTunes popped to the front, showing the iPod. Synching took
place immediately.

We had a power outage several weeks ago, brief, but enough to turn
the computer off. The drive must have gone down at the same time, but
since I only use it for backup, I didn't notice it.

Thanks for acting like a sounding board and letting me solve my own
problem.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Howard Morgan <hdmorganjr at att.net>
> Date: October 30, 2007 6:44:44 PM CDT
> To: x4u at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
> Subject: Synching iPod with iTunes
>
> I'm running Mac OSX 10.4.10 and iTunes 7.4.2. Sometime in the past
> month iTunes quit sensing the iPod when I connect the iPod to it's
> USB cable.
>
> I'm using the iPod Classic.
>
> I've rebooted the iPod. I've searched through iTunes Preferences,
> I've locked and unlocked the iPod, I've connected the iPod with and
> without iTunes running. In the latter case, iTunes did not
> automatically launch. I have not tried a different USB port
> (requires moving a desk and sorting through a tangle of wires.) I
> have verified that the USB connector is firmly seated.
>
> Needless to say, iTunes is not being updated with ratings I set on
> the iPod.
>
> What am I missing?
>
>           ///
>          /^^\