[X4U] Problem with addressbook after import

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Wed Oct 31 03:32:26 PDT 2007

On 30 Oct 2007, at 16:32, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> I am running Leopard. I tried to import my outlook express contacts
> using csv; I know that Help says Outlook does vcf card but I
> couldn't find that choice in the exports on my
> Windows machines. The import didn't fail but the fields must not
> have been right because there are a lot of email addresses I can't
> complete in mail that should be there. I am blind and using
> voiceover and haven't really figured out how to read and edit the
> address book effectively at this point. What I want to do is go
> back to another address book file and get rid of this one
> completely, either by Time Machine or by the Tiger installation on
> my firewire drive. The problem is that I don't know what to
> replace: the whole application, a file within the application, or a
> file somewhere in my user directory. I've looked through Help and
> used Spotlight and I still don't know for sure where my addresses
> actually live and what to replace to go back to what I had before
> the import. Can anybody help me with this?

I'm pretty sure that the file "~/Library/Application Support/
AddressBook/AddressBook.data" contains user data for Apple's
AddressBook app. (Note: "~/" means "in your home folder"). I think
you'll find that if you close AddressBook, rename this file & reopen
AddressBook then you'll start with a fresh sheet. There's also an
AddressBook.data.previous file in the same folder.

Outlook is not the same as Outlook Express - they're really
completely different programs - which is why you couldn't find
the .vcf options. Generally speaking .CSV files are a good way to
transfer contacts - these are plain text files with data fields held
as "Comma Separated Values", so you may find it helpful to open them
in TextEdit or similar just to check the exported data.

I'm sorry I can't offer much else in the way of advice - this is the
sort of undertaking most of us only have to wossisname once, and we
thereafter try as hard as possible to forget the experience.

Stroller.