[X4U] Airport Extreme and AT&T/SBC

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Sep 1 18:25:59 PDT 2007

On 1 Sep 2007, at 23:34, Ed Gould wrote:
> I suppose someone else's wireless could be killing my signal how do
> you tell?

In the past I've used KisMac for this. <http://kismac.macpirate.ch/>

KisMac is a whole wireless (security) auditing suite and very
comprehensive - I think its full features are kinda overkill for your
purposes and that someone else write a simple stumber that would be
adequate - but when you start it up it shows a table of which
networks are detected & which channels they're on.

Ideally, if your neighbour's wireless is on channel 11 then yours
should ideally be on channel 1, 4 or 8. I think that each channel
overlaps the two adjacent ones, so spacing should be 3 apart.
Different manufacturers of APs tend to choose different default
channels - 11 and 1 are the most common, so it's as equally likely
that packets from your neighbour's AP collide with yours as it is
that they cause no interference at all.

Stroller.