[X4U] ceasles spinning disk

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Sep 4 12:21:07 PDT 2007

On 4 Sep, 2007, at 9:16, Jan Melichar wrote:

> So on the G5 with the extra memory the problem has gone away but
> not on the G4 where this did not used to be a problem. I would be
> good to find a solution to this irritating issue.

  It does not truly appear that you have solved the problem, just
partially concealed it by throwing additional RAM at it.

Yes, RAM does help with slow processing, but it isn't the total fix
that you seem to want. To me, it appears that you have enough data in
your iCal records that IT is the cause of the problem, not a lack of
memory.

Are you doing any synchronization of iCal records with other
computers? Did you configure iCal to update records on other machines
every time you open it? Are you configured to share data with other
users?

There are a number of issues that can cause iCal to spin the color
wheel at startup and you need to eliminate each possibility for cause
before you can say that you have the solution.