[X4U] ceasles spinning disk

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Sep 7 00:42:27 PDT 2007

On 6 Sep, 2007, at 8:25, Jan Melichar wrote:

> Yes the problem starts when iCal is launched and starts to
> synchronize.

iCal has a Help menu item that might give you some subjects to look
for as answers.

I would still advise trying to disable the automatic synchronization
function (your latest message did not clearly indicate that you had
tried that yet) and seeing if the problem still existed at iCal startup.

I have seen many other programs that started running at the time the
computer was turned on and caused terrible delays in reaching a
"ready to run" state. Every time this "startup function" was
disabled, the computer ran without repeating the spinning disk delay.
The most predominant programs of this sort were anti-virus,
synchronization, back-up, and email fetchers with multiple
subscriptions.

That is why I suggested disabling the automatic synchronization
function as a test. If the problem disappears when the automatic
function is shut off, then the problem is probably being caused by
one or more of the separate computers that the synchronization is
being attempted with. From that point, I would remove the separate
computers from the synchronization list one at a time and try to
synchronize to the remaining computers as a test. That would pinpoint
the computer responsible for the delay, if any is responsible at all.