[X4U] firmware update creates the fan from hell

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Sep 20 02:50:38 PDT 2007

On 20 Sep 2007, at 08:43, Teddi Pomaika'i Stransky wrote:
> A month or more ago I innocently installed a firmware update from
> Apple. Since then, if I put my Pro to sleep, the fan goes berserk
> when it wakes up. It takes off like a jet engine and roars so
> loudly you can't even talk over it; this goes on for a full two
> minutes before it starts to calm down. The first time it happened I
> thought a water truck was having problems getting up my hill ... it
> honestly sounds like a diesel engine straining up a grade.
>
> The only way to get it back to "full normal" is to reboot; on its
> own it quiets down to conversational levels, but not to its normal
> near-silent state.
> Is it possible to "uninstall" a firmware upgrade?

I would probably be reluctant to risk it.

Were I to Google and find postings by other folks saying they had
done so successfully then I'd go for it, but I bet this isn't common
practice (in fact, I'll bet Apple's firmware updater would just say
"sorry, later firmware already installed").

Workarounds:
   pmset -g >> my_previous_settings.txt
then:
   sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1
or:
   sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 3

Not sure which of these will work or is best. Have a fiddle.

Stroller.