[X4U] Mac MIni?

nk netkat at comcast.net
Tue Apr 1 13:51:10 PDT 2008

On Apr 1, 2008, at 1:44 PM, Zane H. Healy wrote:

> The whole external drive bit is the reason the only problem I see
> with the
> Mini is the RAM.  I wonder how well a fully decked out Mini would
> handle
> Aperture or Lightroom.  I know Aperture expects a pretty serious
> graphics
> card.
>
> Zane

Right. Well, I am eager to see what serious new upgrading of the Mini
which I read of turns out to be. Maybe RAM capacity will get a boost?

I am not familiar with Aperture (I know OF it..) but the app I use
which really sucks down the juice is Lightwave...I can, with a few
lights and shadows, glass, refraction, etc., create 3D scenes which
are almost painful to work with. As a consequence, I work mostly in
wireframe mode, but in Lightwave uses Open GL to preview things like
textures, lights, and shadows...

How do such Open GL demands compare with those of Aperture?

Side note: I have developed a number of behaviours along the lines of
working "smart" to compensate for lack of raw computer power, but
there are some times when a little more power would be truly helpful.