[X4U] Mac MIni?

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Tue Apr 1 16:31:39 PDT 2008

Hi TIm . . .I waited until the other dozen or so replies happened
before I replied. I could pretend because it was I was _much smarter_
than other repliers . . .but that would be untrue. Actually, I was at
work and decided to reply later:-)

Coming from a G4/466 . . . the mini is a much better performer.

Compared to an iMac; the mini is a bit anemic; but not so much as you
might think.

For your purposes . . . I would think it would be fine; the biggest
issue I would have is that I consider 2 GB of RAM the bare minimum for
Leopard and more is better. IIRC. I don't know the mini's RAM limits
off hand . . .but that would be my biggest concern. If you can get at
least 2 GB in it then I think you will certainly be satisfied with
it . . . and given that you've already got the monitor/keyboard/mouse/
etc . . . it's hard to argue with the price.

I use a first generation mini as my file server and Time Machine
server for a couple of laptops at home . . . and it's more than
sufficient for that. Sitting down and logging into the local
console . . . it's certainly far more apparently responsive than the
G4/500 with Tiger that it replaced as a file server.

Go for it I would say, you won't be disappointed.