[X4U] youtube

John McClernan mcclernan1 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 3 20:50:36 PDT 2008

On Apr 3, 2008, at 9:16 AM, Eugene wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 07:18:41PM CDT, John McClernan
> <mcclernan1 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> All you really have to do is to hold down your "option" key and
>> click on
>> that URL in the Activity window. It will start downloading right
>> away. The
>> downloaded file will be "get_video" but you can change it to any
>> name you
>> want, then add .flv to it and it will play in QuickTime after you
>> have
>> installed the Perian plugin. When it opens in QuickTime, you can
>> "Save
>> As..." a self-contained movie (.mov) or just leave it as .flv
>
> It's still too many steps.  And even though this works for YouTube and
> the CGI app named "get_video", it does not work for non-YouTube sites
> that use other CGI app names.

Okay, name one.

I just finished a podcast for my graduate class and I used downloaded
video from more than a dozen sites OTHER THAN YouTube, because
YouTube is blocked in my school, so YouTube was not an option for me.
I used the method I described and the podcast was presented tonight
in class and the videos were beautiful.

Besides, you only asked for a method of downloading for YouTube.
That's what was provided.

Cheers,
John