[X4U] Vertical lines in mail

John McClernan mcclernan1 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 23 20:41:42 PDT 2008

Murray,
That's Apple's version of "quote level". Each line represents another
generation of forwarding. I don't know of any way to turn that off
completely, though there is probably a way to do it in Terminal.app
However, you can change a preference setting so that your forwarding
does not INCREASE the quote level.

Under the "Mail" menu, choose preferences. Click on the "Composing"
button in the toolbar of the preferences window that opens and then
look for the line that says "Increase quote level" and remove the
check that is in the box. It's under the "Responding" category.

If you receive a mail that already has the line (obviously from a
Mail.app user) drag your cursor over the text that has the line and
go up to the "Format" menu at the top of your screen and slide down
to "Quote Level" and choose "Decrease". That command will usually
remove the quote line from text but it doesn't always remove it from
graphics/pictures.

Cheers,
John