[X4U] Pros and Cons of Time Capsule?

B. Kuestner kuestner at macnews.de
Wed Dec 10 14:28:36 PST 2008

The wireless backup via Time Capsule is a bonus. But Time Machine has
its downsides.

The one that bothers me the most is that on my laptop I have FileVault
turned on. Time Machine will only backup my home, if I log out while
the backup drive is connected. Ouch! I rarely ever log out. I just
open and close my laptop.

Also, the Time Machine backup is still encrypted like the FileVault
home directory is. Some users might appreciate that. But whereas I see
a realistic chance of losing my laptop and want my data to be safe, I
see a smaller chance of somebody stealing data from my backup drive at
home. So my preference here is to use unencrypted backups. This makes
the backup more reliable, there's no tax on the CPU, and it saves a
lot of disk space, because files are backed up individually, whereas
the smalles piece of a FileVault backup is an  8 MB "band", the slices
of which the encrypted disk image is made in Leopard.

Others have mentioned that Time Machine does not create bootable
backups.

And I find the way it organizes archives intransparent in that you
cannot see easily, which file was updated when. You always see a full
disk. This approach does have its advantages, I know. But it is less
transparent.

The problem with backups these days is that scanning our huge drives
is taking very, very long, even if there is little or even nothing to
copy. And this I like about Time Machine, that it is very clever about
how it determines what to backup.

To solve my problems I found Synk.
- Synk backs up on a file basis of any user that is logged in, even if
that user has FileVault turned on. (Of course, if the user isn't
logged it, then the data are encrypted and Synk can only backup the
whole FileVault.) This covers the first two points.
- Synk creates bootable backups
- Starting with version 6, Synk is also very smart about its scanning.
It's not as quick as Time Machine. But whether the scan takes one
minute of three minutes is not as important to me as long as it
doesn't take 30 minutes.

So, long story short, try using Time Capsule as a network drive and
then backup to it via Synk.

By the way, I have also found the Synk support very supportive to my
questions and suggestions.

Björn