[X4U] New Drive: Simple reformat enough?

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Tue Dec 16 03:23:49 PST 2008

On Dec 15, 2008, at 5:58 PM, zapcat wrote:

> I just got a couple of new external Drives, which come formatted
> for PC. before I use them, I will reformat them for Mac of course,
> but is the simple reformatting good enough, or do I need to write
> Zeros to these discs first?

No, you do not need to write zeros to the drive.  Previously folks
did this to map out bad blocks on the drive, but with modern drives
you don't need to do this manually because it is accomplished
automatically on the fly.

However, you do need to do a bit more than simply reformat your new
drive.  In the Bombich Forums is an excellent post on how to properly
prepare your external HD before you use it:
http://forums.bombich.com/viewtopic.php?t=4084

Randy B. Singer

Macintosh OS X Routine Maintenance
http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html