[X4U] Apple QC slipping?

Ed Gould edgould1948 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 18 07:16:20 PST 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 4:10 AM, Randy B. Singer wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2008, at 9:29 PM, Ed Gould wrote:
>
>> When you take basic functionality of an OS and essentially tell
>> the users to go scratch people (including myself) get upset.
>> Quality control is part of *COMPATIBILITY* AT least one major
>> manufacturer takes such items seriously. From design to
>> implementation it is part of the QC process. Compatibility between
>> releases of OS (and or hardware) is really important because like
>> I said 100's of millions of dollars of investment (company assets
>> are involved) if those assets no longer work they cannot be on the
>> books as assets. 100's of millions is no small bowl of nuts it is
>> a piece of the pie and every CEO looks at all the important
>> financial numbers. 100's of millions is NOT chump change to any
>> corporate entity.
>
> I agree with Aron that backwards compatibility and quality control
> aren't at all the same thing, no matter how you stretch the
> definition of quality.
>
> Backwards compatibility is high on Apple's list.  That's why they
> paid quite a bit of money to Transitive to use their technology to
> create Rosetta.  Rosetta works surprisingly well for an emulator,
> and it's seamless.
>
> But if you are still complaining about the loss of OS 9
> compatibility, I think that it's time to get over it.  OS 9 was
> discontinued about 8 years ago, which is a huge amount of time in
> the personal computer world.  I'm surprised that Apple continued to
> support the use of OS 9 programs, in the form of Classic, for as
> long as it did.
>
> One of the huge reasons that Microsoft was so hamstrung in getting
> out Vista is because they are trying to support too much legacy
> code.  Every industry analyst is saying that Microsoft has to ditch
> the legacy code and start over and create a new lean and fast
> operating system if they don't want to see their market share
> continue to shrink.  Apple, because they don't have to support a
> lot of legacy code, is not only able to keep on quickly updating OS
> X, but they are also able to migrate OS X to other platforms
> efficiently, like the iPhone.
> http://kohcan.notlong.com
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8160
> http://eteenie.notlong.com
> Vista is a pig of an OS.  OS 9 was getting to be a pig too. While
> it was a shame to have to upgrade all of our old software, we are
> very lucky that OS X is lean and mean.

Randy:

I guess we agree to disagree. Other manufactures take pride when they
have compatibility. That tells the customer that their investment is
sound and will be around for a LONG time.  It is one thing to tell
all your users hey go out and spend a lot of money to replace
functioning application for no real reason other than we don't care
about you. It is another reason say if some basic part of the machine
will no longer work because say technology changes. To make this
simple, 64 bit processors (for Apple) are not really needed if they
were then Apple long ago would have made systems with larger memory
compacity. They have stubbornly set a max memory limit on most of
their processors. *IF* they are doing this (and I am suggesting they
are) then 64 bit is NOT needed in any stretch of the imagination. Any
64 bit offering would be wasting the consumers money. If on the other
hand the systems they (Apple) offered larger memory insertion then it
would be a reasonable thing to do (64 bit). Its the same with any OS
(not just Apple) the need must be there *OR* the marketing hype
people are doing an outstanding performance. I can only compare Apple
to one other manufacturer and they are *SLOWLY* beginning to offer 64
bit OS's even then they are 99 percent compatible with their old
systems. They aren't out banging the drum to dump the old they are
providing a migration path. How it will end up is anyones guess at
this time but rest assured if their past is anything like the present
they will honor and make it work *RIGHT* for the majority of the old
code. Companies are not going to out and spend 100's of millions of
dollars just to be on the current "cutting edge" just to be there.
The current Apple customer does not have money to burn like some
corporate companies.

Backwards compatibility is *EVERYTHING* and a happy customer means
great quality control.

Ed